Monday, January 17, 2011

Refreshed heart

Today I'm back to the old familiar "sitting in my car in the school parking lot before class starts". While it may sound kind of weird, this is one of the most peaceful times of my day. It's the "calm before the storm" in a way. Not that everyday is a storm, in  the sense of a struggle, but before all the busyness of the day begins. It's just me, in my car, spending time with my Jesus. Not to mention a cup of tea (which I have been liking more than coffee lately...yes)
Today I started a new reading plan that my boyfriend reccomended to me. I usually just randomly read the bible, and it's usually the same books (my favorite ones) over and over. Which is sweet! I love that you can learn something new each time you read. But this new system I'm trying out starts with the shortest books in the bible and goes to the longest. This way, I get to experience and read books of the bible that I haven't ever read yet. So today was Philemon. I don't even know if I knew this was a book (honestly). I knew it was somewhere in the bible, but I didn't know it was actually a book. It is one page long, but this morning as I read it, I was greatly encouraged!


    Philemon 1:4-7
         I always thank my God as I remember you in my prayers,  because I hear about your love for all his holy people and your faith in the Lord Jesus. I pray that your partnership with us in the faith may be effective in deepening your understanding of every good thing we share for the sake of Christ. Your love has given me great joy and encouragement, because you, brother, have refreshed the hearts of the Lord’s people.

 The thing that stuck out to me most here was the end. I had never heard this before. "Your love has given me great joy and encouragement because you...have refreshed the hearts of the Lord's people." Isn't that a beautiful picture? A refreshed heart. There are so many times where my heart NEEDS to be refreshed. Where life is just crazy and stressful and I'm needing just that. A refreshed heart. I always find that refreshment in Jesus. But I love how Paul is writing to Philemon and telling him that His love has given him such joy and he has refreshed the hearts of others in the church.

Who wouldn't want a friend like that?! I want to be like that! I want to love people in  a way that encourages them and refreshes their hearts, and most of all points them to the only reason why I can, Jesus.

Today I'm thankful for a refreshed heart and the opportunity to love others in the same way as Philemon.

Time to go to class!

No comments:

Post a Comment