Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Moving and Faithfulness

I haven't blogged in SO long! I started this with the intent of blogging often about what I'm learning, etc. but as usual school and life is crazy and busy and I just didn't. So oh well :)


But I am currently inspired to write about the happenings in my life right now because a lot has happened and a lot is about to happen! And, I'm excited. To be honest, it's taken me a bit to get to this point of "I'm excited". It's been more like 
70% "uhhh...what. real life? adult? moving? helllp!"
 and 30% "yeah! this rocks!"


However, now it's pretty much all "This rocks because Jesus is so faithful in every step and He for sure will be in this one too!" and maybe a dash of anxiety ;-)


So if you don't already know, three weeks ago I graduated from Harcum College with my Associates Degree in Allied Health Sciences- and more specifically Dental Hygiene. Graduating from this program felt one million times better than I ever thought it would. I remember being a year under those who graduated before me and thinking, "Man, I can't WAIT for that day." and then being depressed that it wasn't coming sooner. And then I blinked. And it was here. And now it's over. I'm sorry but let's just take a moment to say WHAAT! That's how I feel when I think about how quickly this two year program went by. It was one of the hardest things I've ever done, but I'm so thankful I did it and I love what I learned. I  can't wait to get a real job doing something I genuinely have a passion for and learning even more about it as the years go on. If you are interested in dental hygiene and live in the Philadelphia area- seriously go to Harcum. No, not for the food (it's awful). No, not for the campus atmosphere (it's REALLY high-school ish and dull) and no, not for the amazing parking spots that you find all the time and courteous staff in the library and book store (sarcasm!). But the education in the DENTAL department is in my mind unmatchable. I always felt cared about. I had teachers that would continuously meet with me on their lunch break. It was a small group in my program (30 of us) and I liked that because I like not feeling like a number. The faculty (particularly the full-time faculty) really did provide me with an education that I feel has prepared me for my field as much as they could. Sure, sometimes I felt like it punched me in the face and knocked me down for days because I studied so hard I barely slept and felt nauseous (too much?), but hey, what's college without sleepless nights and nausea? No college I ever heard of! ;-)
And not to mention, I made some amazing friends that made going through these two years of academic stress not as bad because we were all always in the same boat.


The next step in my life is moving! In 2.5 weeks (on the 17th of June) I am moving about 400 miles away to Portland, Maine! For a little over a year and a half my boyfriend, Geoff and I have been in a long distance relationship (He, in Maine. I, here in Philly). It's been wonderful but it's been hard being that far away from my best friend and my love. So we both decided, with prayer and counsel, that the next step would be that after I graduate to move up there where he is. Two amazingly gracious and awesome people from Geoff's church are going to be hosting me in their home and I even have a temporary dental hygiene job lined up to take a hygienist's maternity leave for ten weeks! God has blessed the planning of this move in so many ways and I'm so thankful.
One of the most common questions I get asked (often critically and rudely, may I add) is "why isn't Geoff moving here?". The most important answer to that question revolves around where both Geoff and I feel Jesus is calling us in the future. Geoff and I met in Montreal in the Summer of 2008 on a mission trip. Through various visits back to my, and his, favorite city (Montreal), God had placed a calling on my heart to be apart of what Jesus wants to do there. On the same hand, Jesus placed that same calling in Geoff's heart. We both would love to and feel called to move there one day and be apart of what Jesus is doing. If you want to know more about what He is doing right now there (amazing things!), check out the church plant that Geoff and I will eventually be a part of when we go! (whenever that may be!) It's called initiative 22 and is lead by Geoff and I's friends Dwight and his wife Jess. They also have two adorable sons :-) Check it out Here.  
So simply put, Geoff moving to Philly would be both geographically and logically going backwards in this goal that we have for our future(s) in Montreal. We're both really excited to see what Jesus does from here on out.

And so now, I'm in that weird stage of "I'm really done school for the rest of my life." and "crap, I don't have anything planned out for me anymore?". That whole feeling kind of knocked me off my feet the first few weeks but sometimes that is when I'm pushed most towards the one I know who never changes even when everything else around me is. Jesus. Oh, what a friend I have in my savior, Jesus. He is my rock and my confidant. He is who unites me and some of my closest friends with the strongest bond that can't be broken because we're united in Christ. He has never left me and it took me awhile  to get to this point of rest in Him for this stage but He has brought to a place of peace. A place where I can say and truly believe :

 Jesus is faithful. He always has been and he always will be. This next step in my life is no different for Him. He will be faithful to the end.

Lamentations 3:22-23
" Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness."

I'm so thankful that even though I change, things change, and life changes, He is always faithful.

So here's to the next step (or large leap)! :)

-Jillian







No comments:

Post a Comment